Tax credits, the 2023 refund, and tax prep help

File Your Taxes (Even if You Aren’t Required to) and Claim Valuable Tax Credits and the 2023 Refund! 

It’s tax season, and Get Ahead Colorado has tons of great information to help individuals and families learn about the tax credits* they might be eligible for and how to file their taxes for 2023. 

This post summarizes some key information from Get Ahead CO. Visit their website for much more, including how to find free tax help, tax preparation services, legal assistance for tax-related issues and other free resources. Filing your taxes is easier than you might think! 

*Tax credits can reduce the amount of tax you owe or can increase the amount of cash back you receive from your tax refund

Have a tax-related question?

2-1-1 Colorado is a great resource to get connected to the support your family needs, including tax help! Click the button to visit the website, or call (866) 760-6489, or text your zip code to 898-211 to get help in multiple languages, including Spanish.  

File a Tax Return to Get $$ from Tax Credits!

Even if you don’t earn much income and are not required to file a tax return, you likely qualify for some tax credits like the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit. You likely qualify for tax credits if you have kids! 

Also, for one year only (tax year 2023), eligible Coloradans can receive a refund of $800, or up to $1,600 for two qualified individuals filing jointly. 

To claim money from the 2023 refund, the Child Tax Credit, or the Earned Income Tax Credit, you must file a tax return! Learn more about tax credits and the 2023 refund here

Note that getting money from tax credits will not impact your eligibility for SNAP, WIC, TANF, or housing assistance.

Those with disabilities may qualify for other tax deductions and credits

If you or someone in your family has a disability, you may qualify for certain tax deductions, income exclusions, and credits.

You may also qualify for special assistance completing your tax return, including assistance from an IRS office, a Colorado VITA site, or an AARP Tax Assistance site.